The Sandvik Plant is our biofuel-based production plant for cogeneration. Cogeneration is extremely energy-efficient, as it generates both heating and electricity at the same time. Other electricity production does not make use of the heat that is always generated. That’s why cogeneration is so smart!
Cogeneration, Sandvik 3
65 MW heating and 39 MW electricity
Has fossil fuel-free production and is powered by biofuel. Has space for flue gas condensation but the decision to build has not been taken.
Cogeneration, Sandvik 2
65 MW heating and 35 MW electricity + 25 MW heating from flue gas condensation. Powered by biofuel.
Superheated water boiler in Sandvik I
Superheated water boiler, 25 MW heating, powered by biofuel.
Sandvik 3, our newest plant, has fossil fuel-free production of district heating and electricity, and is powered by renewable biofuels from the forests of Småland. The raw material consists of wood chips, bark and sawdust, as well as logging residues such as branches and tops.
- Sandvik 3 has an estimated output of 104 MW, of which approx. 39 MW electricity and 65 MW district heating.
- Electricity production generated in the turbine in Sandvik 3 is approximately 240 million kWh/year, representing the annual demand from 50,000 households (at an average consumption of 5,000 kWh/year).
- With Sandvik 3 in operation, electricity generated by us represents just over half of electricity consumption in Växjö.
- Sandvik 3 has an output of 65 MW for district heating production. In one year’s time, approximately 550 million kWh/year will be sold. This represents the annual demand from approximately 28,000 houses for heating and hot water (at an average consumption of 20,000 kWh/year).
- Approximately 80–85 per cent of all heating and hot water in Växjö comes from Växjö Energi and the Sandvik Plant.
- Fuel consumption in Sandvik 3 at full load and maximum moisture content is approximately 160 m3 per hour, representing about 1.5 fully laden trucks with trailers per hour.
- With Sandvik 3, we have the capacity to supply the expanding Växjö region with heating and hot water. We are securing Växjö’s future energy supplies.